Tuesday, June 17, 2008

(mis)Adventures. Just one of Life's little things...

Lil' Tyann,

Mummy's just got to tell you about the most recent adventure we had with the selection of your stroller. (rather, it was a total MISadventure!!)

Mummy admits she is a high spender. She will spend the dough on items that she really think are "worth" spending on (like cosmetics, jeans, toiletries..mummy's favourite shopping items). When it comes to your stuff, of course I want the BEST. The BEST for my lil' Tyann! ;)

So when it came to your stroller (yes kiasu mummy is already searching for your stroller), it HAD to be the BEST. The best features, functions and DESIGN (I am a sucker for aesthetics). And it boiled down to the Bugaboo Chameleon


or the Stokke Xplory....











Of course, these would come with a price tag (as always..) and an HUGE one at that!

Daddy Goh was appalled when he heard that one of those strollers will cost approximately S$1600-1800. Of course, in his normal naggy fashion, strongly objected in parting with his precious dollars on a stroller. ;((

Mummy G decided to be very heroic and proudly told a gleeful Daddy G its OK (grrrr...) if he does not want to pay, as I, Mummy G, will pay for the stroller! (Unread fineprint: He can pay for all the rest of the items we need to get for you..hehe!:D)

In my normal fashion of "trying" to be resourceful, I scoured the internet for cheap online buys. To my most pleasant surprise, I found someone selling a brand NEW Stokke Xplory on eBay. I put in my bid at only US$730 (S$1008). What's more, its a Complete set which comes with the carry cot! It would cost me more than S$2000 to get a brand new set with an additional carry cot from the stores!

Mr eBay seller sent me an email last night and told me he was ready to close the deal at the price I had bidded and mummy was so excited she told Aunty Serene (who stays in Shanghai) over Skype immediately. Aunty Serene must have been appalled at my "kiasuness" and sheepishly "congratulated" me on my wonderful buy.

My eBay seller then told me to wire cash of US$730 to him via Western Union and sent me an email with an eBay insurance (a guarantee of sorts). At this point, Daddy G came to "kaypoh" at what I was so excited about and told me to check the eBay website to see if wiring cash is the approved method of payment by eBay. (Just like Daddy G to be sooooo meticulous about everything. What will I be without him??)

The eBay website had this safety reminder for secure online purchases,"Pay safely online by never using instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram International to pay for your eBay purchases."

Uh-oh...did we smell a fish....I emailed Mr eBay Seller on my concern and also emailed the eBay customer service on my concern of cash transfer.

Here is what eBay customer service replied," I want to let you know that eBay strongly discourages this form of payment as it is untraceable, and eBay will provide no protection for any transaction that is paid via instant wire transfer or any transaction completed outside of eBay."

SOB!!!What a let-down!! =(

I was nearly conned by Mr eBay seller!! The eBay insurance was a fake! I emailed Mr eBay seller and told him I want to pay by the secure Paypal.

This was the last correspondence with Mr eBay seller and the last mummy G heard from him.

Morals of the story:
1) Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.
2) No such thing as a free lunch in this world.

Lil' Tyann, as Daddy G will always tell you,

"Learn."

No comments: